In 1865, Mr. Lewis Moffitt, pioneer and founder of the City of Seward, purchased some choice land. He built a two‑room cabin for his family, which then served as a meeting place and lodging for newcomers. On April 1, 1867, the City of Seward was established. The City of Seward was incorporated on April 5, 1870. The City was named after the County of Seward which was named “Seward” in honor of William Henry Seward, Secretary of State under President Lincoln.
The First Fourth of July celebration took place on July 4, 1868. A flag‑pole was planted in the center of the public square and the ladies of the town, with patriotic hands, made a banner of stars and stripes, which were unfolded to the breeze. Squire Ward, the Justice of the town, delivered the oration of the day, and at mid‑day, the festivities were concluded and the happy participants, about twenty in number, including the entire population of the town, had returned to their homes.
The City of Seward continues on with the tradition of celebrating the Fourth of July. In fact, in a proclamation signed by Governor J. James Exon on March 27, 1973, the City of Seward was proclaimed to be “Nebraska’s Fourth of July City”; and on May 20, 1979, Senator Edward Zorinsky proclaimed the City of Seward to be “National Fourth of July City ‑ Small Town U.S.A.”More information about Seward, Nebraska history can be found by clicking the links below.